Pipe Organs of Malaysia
CHAPEL OF THE CONVENT
OF THE HOLY INFANT JESUS
Convent Bukit Nanas is the popular name for the School of the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus at Bukit Nanas (Pineapple Hill) in the city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Today it is an all-girls secondary school located near the colonial heart of the city. Established in 1899, it is one of the oldest schools in the city and was founded by the Roman Catholic Order of the Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus. Its first enrolment was mixed, consisting of 7 boys and 5 girls.
The school was initially on Ampang Road, behind the current school buildings. Later, when the enrolment reached 80, the school moved into the former Victoria Hotel building in Brickfields which the benefactor of the Church of St John the Evangelist, Mr Goh Ah Ngee of Kajang, bought for the Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus. Due to constant flooding in Brickfields, it was decided to move the school to a new site on hilly ground. Bukit Nanas was chosen and two government architects, Mr Huxley and Mr Kestevan, designed the school buildings which were in the English Gothic style and were completed in 1911. Mr. E.L. Brockman, then the Chief Secretary of the Federated Malay States, opened the new building.
In 1914, the Convent Chapel with a rose window was completed and a small pipe organ was installed not long after. No information on the organ’s specification or its provenance is currently available. The organ became unplayable at some point and was dismantled to provide parts for other organs owned by the Roman Catholic Church. An unplayable console hidden in a storeroom is all that remains of this organ.
Specification of the organ was:
Information from Andrew Hwang.
PO Box 1155
Northam WA 6401
+61 (0)8 9574 0410