Pipe Organs of Thailand
CHRIST CHURCH ANGLICAN CHURCH
Henry Willis & Son, London.
The organ was made by Messrs. Henry Willis and Son of London who had made a similar organ for the Anglican Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kuala Lumpur.
Part of the cost came from donations at the dedication service held on
19 November 1905 and the rest was provided by a loan from Mr. Henry
Hooker, later repaid.
The organ in Christ Church was built in 1904 by Henry Willis & Son of London, England. It was first tried out by the organist of St. Paul’s Cathedral in London and, after he declared it fit, it was shipped to Thailand.
Upon arrival in Bangkok it was held up in the harbour by the Royal Thai Customs officials for two weeks while they figured out what it was. The organ was then installed at Christ Church by Mr. F.G. Barr from Kuala Lumpur.
Starting in 1975, the organ was rebuilt over a period of two years by Mr Peter Scott with the advice and diagrams received from Mr. Henry Willis IV who came from England for two weeks to complete the rebuild. Since then the maintenance of the organ has been undertaken by parish members and persons from different organ builders who were travelling through Bangkok. Although functional and fundamentally sound, it is now in need of another complete rebuild.
The organ has tracker action throughout, mechanical drawstop action, a balanced Swell pedal and two combinations pedals to Great.
Specification of the organ is:
Organ details, photographs and church history from Christ Church, Bangkok, web site.
PO Box 1155
Northam WA 6401
+61 (0)8 9574 0410